I’ve been reading a lot of mysteries lately and the main characters all seem to have something special about them that is mentioned in every book. Think Columbo and his cigar, raincoat, car and dog. On detective liked dark chocolate Kit Kats — that’s my kind of guy!
What would my idiosyncrasy be if I were the main character in a mystery? It would have to be a cozy mystery — probably involving a library or a bookstore. I read (a lot), knit, sing in a church choir, have cats, collect Clue games, and do Sudoku. I think my character would need to get a little more specific. Maybe I’d only be Miss Scarlet when I played Clue. Or sang tenor. Or had a strange cat (but that’s been done before.)
What would your idiosyncrasy be?
Can you recognize these characters by their idiosyncrasies?
- Always doing crosswords and listening to opera
- Drinks Laphroaig and listens to opera and folk music
- Rows to clear her head
- Smells of Roses and Sandalwood
- Has a strange dog and a wild cat as pets
- Always uses an iron skillet and tells us how to season it.
- This pair watches Final Jeopardy every case.
- Won’t get a cellphone.
- Always talks about the local water problem.
Answers in the next post.